It’s not unusual for dogs or cats to have periods when they experience anxiety. However, if their anxiety is prolonged or making them completely miserable, it might be time to look into calming aids. New Year’s Eve and the 4th of July are particularly difficult for pets because of fireworks, parades and strangers in the home. In fact, shelters see a huge increase in the number of lost pets coming through their door during these times of year. After all, even normally well behaved pets can get spooked by loud noises and run off.
Here are some general tips to contain flustered pets so the two of you don’t get separated:
- Make sure your pet always wears a collar and an ID tag with their name and your phone number.
- Keep pets inside during parades and fireworks. Shut windows and doors to help hide the sound. You can also turn on music or the TV to muffle the noise.
- If you have guests over, you might want to keep your pet in a separate room. This will keep them from running away every time a guest enters or exits your home.
- If you leave the house with your pet, always keep them on a leash. Even normally super-obedient pets might get skittish and make a run for it.
- Make sure your pet is microchipped and that the chip is registered. You can register your chip for free at Found.org!
Stop by Adopt & Shop if you need to pick up a collar, ID tag, leash or microchip!
Comfort Zone is a homeopathic solution available in both diffuser or spray form. We carry the diffuser in Adopt & Shop Stores. It is a reusable plug-in base with a Feliway liquid pheromone. Each diffuser lasts 30 days and covers a space of 600 square feet. We recommend using the diffuser as a preventative measure as opposed to a treatment. In other words, start using the diffuser before your pet experiences anxiety.
Another homeopathic option available at Adopt & Shop is Earth Animal Calm Down. It’s an organic herbal blend made with alcohol, Chamomile, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm and other herbs and flowers. It helps calm pets during travel, grooming, fireworks and more.
Adopt & Shop also carries Life by Tropiclean, another calming aid supplement. We offer varieties for both cats and dogs. Life is made with a blend of coconut oil, L-Theanine and herbs. It supports healthy rest without making your pet drowsy.
Other Calming Aids
Swaddling your pet like a baby is another great option for calming them down. We highly recommend Thundershirts. They come in a bunch of different sizes for pets of all varieties. Pro tip: Use the Thundershirt several times before your pet experiences anxiety. This will get you the best results.
If none of these options do the trick, speak to your vet about stronger options. There are many prescription medications available for animals who experience severe anxiety or compulsive behaviors. Your vet will be able to recommend the one that is best for your pet.
What calming aids have you used? Let us know on Facebook!